Nintendo Selling Majority Share Of Seattle Mariners

It appears that Nintendo is letting go of some areas of their business (sports teams) while it invests in others (theme parks). It announced today that it plans to sell its majority share in the Seattle Mariners. Currently Nintendo holds 55% of the team, of which is valued at $1.4 billion. They will reduce their ownership to 10%, while the other owners band together to hold the other 90%. In other words, Nintendo should receive $630 million for their portion of the team.


Howard Lincoln. Photo Credit: Otto Greule Jr & Getty Images.


Previous CEO of Nintendo of America and current CEO of the Mariners, Howard Lincoln, will retire from the day-to-day operations. He will stay on as a member of the FAE Board of Directors to represent Nintendo’s ownership interests. If all goes well, the transaction should be complete after approval from the MLB, which is expected in August of this year.

Too bad Mr. Lincoln doesn’t come back over to the Nintendo side of things. I rather liked him during the NES through GameCube era.




Nintendo of America today announced the planned sale of a majority of its interest in the Seattle Mariners to other members of the current ownership group. Under the plan, Nintendo of America will retain a 10% stake in the team, while the remainder of its holdings will be sold to other members of First Avenue Entertainment LLLP (FAE). FAE is the limited partnership that owns the Seattle Mariners, and a majority interest in ROOT Sports NW. Closing the transaction is subject to the finalization of legal contracts and approval from Major League Baseball which is expected in August of this year.

As part of the deal and at closing, current CEO Howard Lincoln will retire from day-to-day operations, and John Stanton will replace him as Chairman and CEO, and as the designated Major League Baseball Control Person. Lincoln will continue on as a member of the FAE Board of Directors, representing Nintendo’s ownership interests.

“From the first day of our involvement nearly 24 years ago, Nintendo has had two goals for its investment in the Mariners,” said Howard Lincoln. “First, we wanted to assure the permanence of the team in this great city. And on that count, I am proud and gratified that this agreement further solidifies that goal. On the other hand, I’m equally disappointed that we have not been able to host a World Series game for our fans.”

John Stanton said, “My goal and the goal of the entire Mariners ownership and management team is to win a World Series. I believe that the Mariners are well positioned to achieve that goal and it will be my honor to lead the organization. I want to thank Howard for his leadership for the last 17 years and thank the members of the board and ownership for giving me this opportunity.”

Specific details of the transaction will not be disclosed. A valuation of $1.4 billion for FAE’s holdings (team and RSN) was used as the basis for the sale. Nintendo of America, Howard Lincoln and John Stanton were principal participants in the negotiations.

FAE expects no organizational or personnel changes as a result of the transaction.


Craig Majaski

Craig has been covering the video game industry since 1995. His work has been published across a wide spectrum of media sites. He's currently the Editor-In-Chief of Nintendo Times and contributes to Gaming Age.

Join The Conversation!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.