Nintendo eShop Digital Download Thursdays
Nintendo’s coming out swinging this week with lots of eShop content. The biggest games this week, and indeed the year, are Pokémon Sun and Moon. They will be available tomorrow (Nov. 18) both at retailers and on the eShop. It’s the most pre-ordered game in Nintendo’s history, so it will definitely take the country by storm.
Also on 3DS is a stealth release of a brand new piece of software: Swapdoodle. If you had a 3DS early in its lifespan you might remember a little application called Swapnote. It allowed users to draw as well as take pictures and small audio clips and send them to their friends via Wi-Fi. Due to some unfortunate incidents involving minors in Japan the online functionality was taken out, thus rendering the software useless. It appears Nintendo is taking another stab at an online communication program, except this time the camera can’t be used. It also features unique stamps based on famous Nintendo characters that you can trace and color.
The Wii U gets another Wii classic with Wario Land: Shake It. This 2D side-scroller uses the Wii Remote sideways to control Wario through a bunch of zany levels trying to collect all of the various treasures. Shaking the Remote will allow him to grab objects and enemies as well as cause earthquakes.
Also for Wii U is the Virtual Console game, Excitebike 64. This was a popular game back in the day and although the graphics may not hold up that well, it plays great. Just like the original NES game, you can create your own courses for you and your friends to try out.
This week’s Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:
- Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
- Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon – Embark on a new adventure and catch, battle and trade new Pokémon on the tropical islands of the Alola Region. Discover Z-Moves and unleash these intense attacks in battle. Call upon Pokémon with Poké Ride to discover new areas across the region and take on the Island Challenge Trials to become the Pokémon Champion! Who are you going to choose as your partner Pokémon: Rowlet, Litten or Popplio? The Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon games will be available on Nov. 18. Until then, don’t forget you can download the Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon Special Demo Version and meet the Pokémon that can be found in the full versions of the games. Ash-Greninja, the Pokémon that appears alongside Ash in the animated TV series Pokémon the Series: XYZ, will also appear as a member of your team and can be transferred to the full version of Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon once purchased when the games launch Nov. 18.
- Swapdoodle – The Swapdoodle game is an easy way to write messages, draw 3D pictures and share them with your Nintendo 3DS friends. Swapping doodles is a snap thanks to stamps based on the icons of played games and your Mii character. You can also purchase in-game add-on packs that have doodle lessons of Nintendo characters!
- Wii Retail on Wii U
- Wario Land: Shake It – Wario returns to form, with all the jumping, power-dashing and butt-stomping we’ve come to expect. With the Wii Remote controller turned sideways, veterans and newcomers alike can run, jump and smash their way through hectic side-scrolling stages. By shaking the Wii Remote, you can shake down your enemies, free coins from treasure bags and even cause in-game earthquakes. Purchase and download this vibrant Wii console platformer on the Wii U console today!
- Virtual Console on Wii U
- Excitebike 64 – Grind your way through the extreme sport of motocross and attempt more than a dozen outrageous tricks, such as heel clickers, cliffhangers and bar hops. Select from six different riders – each with her or his own unique style – and race across 20 stadium tracks and outdoor courses. You can also create your very own courses or race against up to four friends (additional controllers required for multiplayer mode; sold separately).Nintendo eShop sales:
- Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
- Great deals this week include Totem Topple (Wii U), Goosebumps: The Game (Nintendo 3DS) and Disney Frozen: Olaf’s Quest (Nintendo 3DS), plus several more. Check out the full list of deals on Nintendo 3DS and Wii U available this week at http://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals.Activities:
- My Nintendo Holiday Sweepstakes – This holiday season, My Nintendo members have a chance to win big! Members can enter the My Nintendo Holiday Sweepstakes now through 2 p.m. PT on Nov. 21 simply by choosing the five gifts that top their wish lists this year. Not a member yet? Sign up for free and then enter the sweepstakes. Head to http://happyholidays.nintendo.com/sweepstakes/ to learn more and enter.
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Open to legal residents of the US (incl. DC), 13 years or older. Promotion begins 2:00 PM PT on 11/14/16 and ends 2:00 PM PT on 11/21/16. To enter, vote for your top 5 Nintendo products as stated in Official Rules. Eight winners will each receive one prize package (ARV US $242.96–292.96). For Official Rules, visit www.nintendo.com/corp/My-Nintendo-Holiday-Sweepstakes-2016/. Sponsor: Nintendo of America Inc.
Theme Shop on Nintendo 3DS:
- New themes this week include:
- Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon – Tropical – Available Nov. 18
- Pokémon Solgaleo/Lunala – Available Nov. 18
Also new this week:
- Touch Battle Tank – Tag Combat (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
- Exile’s End (Nintendo eShop on Wii U) – Available Nov. 22
- Ohayou! Beginner’s Japanese (Nintendo eShop on Wii U
- Swap Fire (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Craig has been covering the video game industry since 1995. His work has been published across a wide spectrum of media sites. He’s currently the Editor-In-Chief of Nintendo Times and contributes to Gaming Age.