VIDEO: FIFA 18 Gamescom Footage
EA’s firs foray into Nintendo Switch game development is FIFA 18, a series that has become one of the best selling worldwide. The Switch version will have everything the PS4 and Xbox One versions have feature wise, with the exception of the story mode “The Journey”.
The game has been built from the ground up for the Switch, taking advantage of the system’s capabilities while docked and undocked. EA has managed to get it to run at 60FPS no matter what your preferred method of playing is, and that’s a wonderful achievement, especially for a sports game. Take a look at the game being demoed at Gamescom 2017:
EA SPORTS™ FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch™ is the most immersive, social, and authentic football game ever created for Nintendo players. Feature packed, you can now play the world’s game anytime, anywhere and in unique ways with FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch.
Built for Nintendo Switch
Your FIFA, Your Way: Brand-new ways to play single and multiplayer on the most social FIFA experience ever. With a variety of controller and display configurations available, as well as split Joy-Con™ support, FIFA 18 on the Nintendo Switch offers a responsive and engaging gaming experience – no matter how you play.
Your Favorite FIFA Modes, for Nintendo Switch: With FIFA Ultimate Team™, Career Mode, and Switch-tailored Kick Off, and Local Seasons, FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch is the deepest portable FIFA ever.
Immersive Presentation and Gameplay: With advanced rendering technology, FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch delivers an unparalleled experience. The product boasts a full 1080p on TV and 720p on handheld, delivering authentic football atmospheres, no matter where you play. Experience brand-new pitch environments, unique physically based rendering for all characters, and new gameplay mechanics.
Your FIFA, your way
Console Configurations: Experience FIFA wherever, whenever and however you want. Connect to your television and play, Single or Multiplayer, Offline or Online*, or take the same modes on-the-go. Play with the console:
- Local Multiplayer Connection
Split Joy-Con Support: A new FIFA control scheme, built exclusively for Nintendo Switch, enables you to compete with your friends anytime and anywhere. Without any additional hardware, players can separate the Joy-Con controllers and enjoy multiplayer game modes at home, or on the go. Joy-Con Support on FIFA 18 includes:
Note: FIFA 18 will also support the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller configuration.
Your favorite FIFA modes, for Nintendo Switch
With FIFA Ultimate Team, Career Mode, Switch Kick Off, and Local Seasons, FIFA 18 on Nintendo Switch offers fans more depth in modes than any other portable console.
Modes, Built for Nintendo Switch: FIFA 18 built for Nintendo Switch includes your favorite modes from the EA SPORTS FIFA franchise, optimized for the console.
- Switch Kick Off: Pick-up and play instantly in single-player or local multiplayer with a friend.
- Local Seasons: Match-up with a friend, play a five-match season, and keep track of your overall win/loss record. Local Seasons are played across two Nintendo Switch consoles allowing up to 4 players.
- Career Mode: Take control of a club as a player or manager and steer your club to victory over multiple seasons.
- Tournaments: Play offline in a knockout style tournament structure.
- Women’s International Cup: Play as the world’s best women’s teams and compete for your country in a knockout style tournament.
- Skill Games: Hone your skills playing individual mini-games focused on dribbling, passing, shooting, defending and more.
- Online Seasons: Compete against other Nintendo Switch players online and track your divisional progress as you push to get promoted and ultimately win the championship.
FIFA Ultimate Team: The most popular mode in EA SPORTS FIFA is available on Nintendo Switch, allowing you to build and manage your own squad from thousands of authentic players.
- Depth in Modes: The most exciting ways to play FUT including: Single Player and Online versions of Seasons, Tournaments, and Draft while also featuring Squad Building Challenges and Team of The Week Challenges.
- FUT Icons: The best of the best are coming to FIFA 18. Play with most iconic legends of football including Ronaldo Nazário, and more to be revealed.
- Live Campaigns: FIFA Ultimate Team reflects the real world, evolving with the season to align and reflect major cultural and football moments.
- Transfer Market: Engage in a global transfer system, buying and selling players to build your team and track down the players you want for your squad.
Immersive gameplay and presentation
Authentic Visuals: With advanced rendering technology, FIFA on Nintendo Switch delivers an unparalleled experience. The product boasts full 1080p on TV and 720p on handheld, Nintendo Switch delivers authentic football atmospheres.
- Physically Based Player Rendering (PBR): Experience authentic player renders, built with PBR shading to make characters more life-like than ever before on a portable console.
- Immersive Environments: Advanced rendering technology puts you in authentic stadiums, featuring 3D crowds and grass, and immersive broadcast presentation.
Gameplay: New gameplay mechanics allow you to take total control on the pitch.
Complete Control Crossing: All-new crossing controls provide the player with a variety of options to put the ball into the box, creating dynamic attacking chances.
Responsive Play: Feel in control of possession in attack, with creative skills, responsive touches, and a dynamic control dribble mechanic. In addition, authentic animations for volleys, shooting, and tackling offer a fluid and rewarding gameplay experience.
Trainer Overlays: Intelligent overlays help you learn gameplay mechanics. The trainer adapts to how your style of play, giving an edge to players of all skill levels.
Craig has been covering the video game industry since 1995. His work has been published across a wide spectrum of media sites. He’s currently the Editor-In-Chief of Nintendo Times and contributes to Gaming Age.