Nintendo Switch System Update Adds Video Capture & Ability To Transfer Saves
The Nintendo Switch Version 4.0.0 update is now live and it adds some much-requested features from users. The biggest one is the ability to transfer user profiles and save data to another system. This is vitally important for those who decide to purchase a new system or need to move data for one reason or another.
Another great part of the update is the ability to record game video. You can now hold the Capture button to record the last 30 seconds of your game. You can then edit it and upload it to social media sites like Twitter. Right now it’s only compatible with Zelda, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2. We imagine more games will be added soon.
For the rest of the details, check out the official update notes below:
Improvements Included in Version 4.0.0 (Distributed 10/18/2017)
Added the following system functionality
- Capture video on select games
- To capture video, hold down the Capture Button during gameplay
- Up to maximum of the previous 30 seconds will be saved in the Album. You can trim the beginning and end of each clip, and post to Facebook and Twitter.
- As of October 18th, 2017, this feature is compatible with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2
- Select from 12 new Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Transfer user and save data to another system
- To transfer, head to System Settings > Users > Transfer Your User and Save Data
- Pre-purchase option on Nintendo eShop
- A pre-purchase option will be available for certain games. This option allows pre-load of the game to your system for quicker play when the game is released.
- This feature will be supported by future game releases
- News channel updates
- The news feed has been updated with a new look.
- Unfollowing a channel will remove that channel’s content from the news feed and following the channel again will make it reappear.
- Match software version with a group of local users
- To create a group, head to the software’s Options > Software Update > Match Version with Local Users
- Everyone’s software will be updated to match the most recent version in the group
- All users must be on system menu version 4.0.0 or later to view and join a group
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
Changed the specification which hid wireless networks using TKIP security from the network search results. Wireless networks using TKIP security will now display in search results as a grayed-out selection instead of not being displayed
The Nintendo Switch console supports WEP, WPA-PSK(AES), and WPA2-PSK(AES). If your router is using a different security type (e.g. WPA-PSK(TKIP)), you will need to change this security type within your router’s settings.
Craig has been covering the video game industry since 1995. His work has been published across a wide spectrum of media sites. He’s currently the Editor-In-Chief of Nintendo Times and contributes to Gaming Age.