Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Wins Ultimate Game Of The Year
It’s that time of the year again! Award season has arrived and for many Nintendo fans the decision for the best game of the year can be a difficult one to answer. The 35th annual Golden Joystick Awards just took place and they awarded game of the year to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild! Coming in second was Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) and Persona 5 (PS4) took third.
Dan Dawkins, Global Editor-In-Chief, GamesRadar+ said: “The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild picks up an incredible five awards, including the Best Studio category, making it the first game to win both the Critics’ Choice Award and public-voted Ultimate Game of the Year award. It’s a remarkable haul and Nintendo’s once-in-a-generation adventure deserves the universal acclaim. Breath of the Wild changes the way we view open worlds, with instinctive yet deep controls that encourage experimentation, appealing to gamers of all ages and abilities.
Here is the full list of winners:
- Best Storytelling – Horizon Zero Dawn
- Best Visual Design – Cuphead
- Best Audio – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Best Gaming Performance sponsored by The Sun – Ashly Burch (Horizon Zero Dawn)
- Best Indie Game in collaboration with Square Enix Collective – Friday the 13th: The Game
- Best Multiplayer Game sponsored by GT Omega – PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
- Studio of the Year – Nintendo EPD
- Best VR Game – Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
- eSports Play of the Year sponsored by Intel – Agilities
- eSports Team of the Year – Seoul Dynasty (formerly Lunatic-Hai)
- eSports Game of the Year sponsored by OMEN by HP – Overwatch
- Best Streamer / Broadcaster – Markiplier
- Handheld / Mobile Game of the Year sponsored by Bespoke Arcades – Pokémon Sun and Moon
- Nintendo Game of the Year – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- PlayStation Game of the Year – Horizon Zero Dawn
- Xbox Game of the Year – Cuphead
- PC Game of the Year – PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
- Critics’ Choice Award – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Breakthrough Award sponsored by Badfly – Ashly Burch
- Hall of Fame – Final Fantasy
- Most Wanted Award – The Last of Us Part II
- Still Playing Award – World of Tanks
- Outstanding Contribution to the UK Games Industry sponsored by The Telegraph – Debbie Bestwick MBE
- Lifetime Achievement – Sid Meier
- Ultimate Game of the Year – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Not too shabby! Do you agree that Breath of the Wild is the game of the year? Let us know down below. We certainly love it.
Craig has been covering the video game industry since 1995. His work has been published across a wide spectrum of media sites. He’s currently the Editor-In-Chief of Nintendo Times and contributes to Gaming Age.