Journey To The Wild West Of Stick Figure Drawings In West Of Loathing
In today’s Nindies Showcase it was revealed that West of Loathing is coming to the Switch. This is an adventure/RPG mix with comedic elements. The game is mostly black and white and features stick figures as its characters. It’s scheduled to arrive in late May.
Inspired by the humor, whimsy, and storytelling of classic adventure/RPGs Quest for Glory and Paper Mario, West of Loathing is a single player role-playing game set in a slapstick stick figure rendition of the wild frontier. Leave your family farm and head west to find your fortune in this huge, humorous adventure brimming with branching storylines, tactical turn-based combat, and big hats.
But that’s not all! West of Loathing also features:
- A sprawling open world: Traverse snake-infested gulches, punch skeletons wearing cowboy hats, grapple with demon cows, and investigate a wide variety of disgusting spittoons — nearly 100 unique locations to explore!
- A goofy spin on good ol’ RPG gameplay: Charm your way out of trouble as a silver-tongued Snake Oiler, plumb the refried mysteries of the cosmos as a wise and subtle Beanslinger, or let your fists do the talking as a fierce Cow Puncher.
- A “colorful” cast of stick-figure characters: Interact with dozens of NPCs and hundreds of enemies — some of whom are good, many of whom are bad, and a few of whom are ugly.
- A gag around every corner: Wordplay and dad jokes abound — along with several gulches, at least one drunken horse, and liberal use of the Oxford comma.
Since its August release for Windows, Mac, and Linux, West of Loathing has been named Best Comedy Game of 2017 by PC Gamer, ranked as one of Polygon‘s 50 Best Games of 2017, and hailed as “One of the year’s best games” by Rolling Stone. In addition to the Nintendo Switch version, an iPhone/iPad version is also in the works.
A slapstick comedy stick-figure wild west adventure role-playing game.
West of Loathing is a single-player slapstick comedy adventure role-playing game set in the wild west of the Kingdom of Loathing universe. Traverse snake-infested gulches, punch skeletons wearing cowboy hats, grapple with demon cows, and investigate a wide variety of disgusting spittoons.
Talk your way out of trouble as a silver-tongued Snake Oiler, plumb the refried mysteries of the cosmos as a wise and subtle Beanslinger, or let your fists do the talking as a fierce Cow Puncher. Explore a vast open world and encounter a colorful cast of characters, some of whom are good, many of whom are bad, and a few of whom are ugly.
A sprawling open world, chock full of danger, quests, puzzles, and mysteries
- Lush hand-drawn black and white graphics
- Thousands of jokes, gags, and goofs
- Crunchy turn-based combat (but only if you want it)
- Liberal use of the Oxford comma
- Over 50 hats
- Disreputable saloons
- Several gulches
- A drunk horse
Craig has been covering the video game industry since 1995. His work has been published across a wide spectrum of media sites. He’s currently the Editor-In-Chief of Nintendo Times and contributes to Gaming Age.