Valkyria Chronicles 4 Demo Now Available For Switch
I think one of the bigger success stories so far on the Switch has been the brisk sales of Octopath Traveler. Part of the reason I believe it did so well was that Square Enix put out not one, but two demos that showed off exactly what the game was. The latest demo even allowed progress to be transferred into the final game – something I wish more games would do.
Thankfully Sega is taking the same approach with Valkyria Chronicles 4! The demo just went up today and you can begin playing right now. You’ll be able to pick up right where you left off in the final version of the game when it comes out on September 25. This is an excellent way to test drive a game before buying and hopefully introduce even more people to the franchise.
Get ready to roll out – Valkyria Chronicles 4 is launching September 25 on PlayStation®4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch™, and Steam™ for PC! Digital pre-orders are now available on all platforms, and all digital pre-orders come with a special bonus – the ‘A Captainless Squad’ add-on mission! In this side mission, a group of Squad E soldiers find themselves on an impromptu reconnaissance operation after the squad’s beloved medic dog, Ragnarok, goes missing. This mission will be available immediately for anyone who digitally pre-orders Valkyria Chronicles 4 when the full game launches on September 25 (after reaching Chapter 10 in the main story). ‘A Captainless Squad’ will also be available as a standalone add-on item for $4.99 in late October.
In the Valkyria Chronicles 4 Demo, available now as a free download on the PlayStation™Store, Microsoft Store, and Nintendo Switch™ eShop, you’ll join Commander Claude Wallace and his comrades in Squad E as they begin the first steps of Operation Northern Cross. Experience the series’ signature watercolor aesthetic as presented by the CANVAS Engine and get a feel for the innovative tactical BLiTZ system before the full game launches on September 25. Play through the prologue and first two chapters of the game, as well as an exclusive bonus mission created for the demo. Demo save data, including items obtained, class levels, earned experience, and currency total will transfer over to the full game, so you can pick up right where you left off. Additionally, importing save data from the demo will net you an exclusive accessory for use in the full game.
“Memoirs from Battle” Premium Edition
Take the fight to the Empire with the Valkyria Chronicles 4 “Memoirs from Battle” premium edition, and dive into two new adventures with your favorite Squad 7 characters from the original Valkyria Chronicles. This special edition release (MSRP – $99.99) comes equipped with an exclusive artbook themed as Claude’s travel journal from the game and a replica of his mighty tank, the Hafen. Arm yourself for the battle ahead by pre-ordering the “Memoirs from Battle” premium edition today at http://valkyria.sega.com!
- Exclusive Vinyl Statue of the “Hafen” Tank – Triumphantly bursting onto the scene, the “Hafen” tank vinyl statue is ready to conquer the snowy battlegrounds of Europa. More than just a tank, the “Hafen”, named after Claude’s hometown in Gallia, is a meaningful symbol for all of Squad E’s members. This version may not have the firepower of the original, but it makes a great centerpiece for any fan’s collection!
- “Claude’s Travel Journal” Exclusive 100-Page Themed Artbook –Valkyria Chronicles 4’s story is told through the photos, notes, and memories captured in Claude’s travel journal. This exclusive artbook, inspired by Claude’s journal in-game, features a wide selection of the beautiful watercolor-styled art from Valkyria Chronicles 4.
- A Pair of DLC Adventures Featuring Squad 7 Characters – “A United Front with Squad 7” and “Edy’s Advance Ops” reunite fans of the original Valkyria Chronicles with the soldiers of Squad 7. Fight alongside Welkin, Alicia, Isara, Rosie, Largo, and Edy in over 3 hours of gameplay across 4 exclusive story missions, featuring fully-voiced cutscenes and unique challenges! After completing these missions, you’ll unlock those six Squad 7 members, as well as Edy’s personal submachine gun for use in your army in the main game. Bolster your forces with the renowned soldiers of Squad 7!
- A Coming-of-Age Story in a Time of War – Valkyria Chronicles 4 takes place in the same timeframe as the original Valkyria Chronicles, but focuses on a whole new cast of main characters. Players will take command of the eager, young Commander Claude Wallace, engineer/heavy weapons extraordinaire Riley Miller, hotheaded Darcsen Raz, ice-cold ace sniper Kai Schulen, and more. Together, they will experience the painful realities of war–but will the bonds of Squad E’s friendships survive the frozen battlefield?
- The Next Generation “BLiTZ” Battle System – The part overhead turn-based strategy, part RPG, and part real-time 3rd person shooter “BLiTZ” battle system returns to the field. New features include an explosive new class called the Grenadier, numerous offensive/defensive battleship support options, chances for a unit to have a “Last Stand” action before death, and more. Plus, fight the imperial threat with more units on larger-scale maps than ever before.
- CANVAS Aesthetics – The series’ signature hand-drawn visual style is back and overhauled for the newest generation. Inspired by watercolor compositions, the CANVAS Graphics Engine blends visual elements of reality and imagination to create an expressive world filled with colorful emotions. Watch the journey of Squad E unfold like an interactive painting!
- The Return of a Legendary Composer – The illustrious Hitoshi Sakimoto, original composer of the Valkyria Chronicles series and countless other emotional epics, returns to provide a sweeping orchestral score for Valkyria Chronicles 4.
Craig has been covering the video game industry since 1995. His work has been published across a wide spectrum of media sites. He’s currently the Editor-In-Chief of Nintendo Times and contributes to Gaming Age.