Scare Your Switch With Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle On August 30
Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle has just been announced for the Nintendo Switch and it’s coming at the end of the month (August 30). Check out the trailer and PR below! Can you survive this first-person dungeon crawler on the Switch?
Japanese videogame publisher, Happinet, today announced that their new real-time dungeon crawling RPG game, Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle, will launch on PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Nintendo Switch™ simultaneously on Aug. 30 for an SRP of $13.99, €11.99, and £10.99. Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle aims to deliver a fast-paced, challenging, mysterious, and suspenseful single-player RPG experience utilizing smart tactics and quick thinking to defeat enemies in real-time.
Set during the Edo Period of Japan, Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle is based on the eerie and terrifying Hyakki Island, a place where prisoners are sent to live in exile. A mysterious castle suddenly appears on the island bringing a slew of creepy monsters, such as the “Yokai” of ancient Japanese literature. The island imprisons a cunning rebel mastermind who seeks to overthrow the Shogun order and assassinate its leader. Players play as four special agents of the Shogun order, specializing in Yokai and monster slaying, to investigate the island’s mysterious Hyakki Castle, and to eliminate the rebel mastermind manipulating the Island and its inhabitants.
Featuring a unique approach to the traditional real-time dungeon RPG genre, Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle encourages players to split their party with its exclusive 2-party system, a feature not yet seen in real-time dungeon RPGs on consoles, making strategic fights easier. Players must use unique skills and move-sets in destroying monsters with distinctive attacks and behavior, while executing pincer attacks, flanks and more as you progress upward in the mysteries castle to defeat the rebel mastermind causing the extraordinary events on the island.
- Real-time RPG Action: Execute various tactics such as flanking, distracting, and more for your party in real-time as “Yokai” appear throughout the castle to bring death upon players
- Twice the Possibilities: Split your group of assassins into two parties at any time to deal with traps, puzzles, and enemies for unparalleled strategy and party options
- Explore a Monstrous Castle: The enormous castle is filled with cunning traps—some of which can only be solved by dividing your party—and tough boss monsters, testing player instincts and judgement
- Explore Japanese Character Classes and Races: Choose to play as an Oni, Tengu, Human, or Nekomata with four distinct races on tap to add diverse skillsets to your party
- Tutorial Mode: Learn to survive and defeat the Yokai and bosses in a tutorial mode that provides an in-depth explanation on all the mechanics and tactics needed to survive
- Redefined UI Experience: Experience real-time gameplay with improved UI designed for console gameplay and beginners of the real-time dungeon RPG genre
Developed and published by Happinet, Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle is scheduled to release digitally on both platforms via the PlayStation®Store and the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch™ on Aug. 30, 2018. This title has been rated “T for Teen” by the ESRB (PEGI 12 in Europe).
Craig has been covering the video game industry since 1995. His work has been published across a wide spectrum of media sites. He’s currently the Editor-In-Chief of Nintendo Times and contributes to Gaming Age.